Thank you to MERS for everything they do on our behalf! You teach and inspire us to love and care for our oceans. Through your work we can all take part in protecting them. Thank you for giving us the chance to help you do what you do so beautifully. Jackie Hildering #OceanVoice ...
We’re giving in! Here’s the link to our MERS online auction in advance of the starting date mersociety.org/auction. Auction will be from March 30th to April 8th. Many items are still to be added and featured here but going to the link gives the opportunity to favourite items and strategize around winning them. :) All funds go to our research, response and education efforts. And YES, this Killer Whale / Orca drawing by Dusan Postolovic is one of the auction items. Follow Dusan on Instagram at www.instagram.com/d_postal
This will be fun! There will be a couple of different stencils available if you don't want to do the island. ...
Island life paint party - cancelled
March 26, 2018, 6:30pm
Cancelled due to lack of interest - Join us for an evening of crafting fun. All supplies and instruction will be provided to create your very own Island Painting on wood. Final project on Pine measures 9"x22" to register please email email@example.com or send a private message. Cost is $40 per person.
The Oceanfront Hotel & Whale's Rub Pub shared Marine Education & Research Society's post. ...
We're having an online auction from March 30 to April 8 with beautiful art like this, trips, clothing, food items . . . The auction is to help cover our operating costs. Details below. We aim for this to be a very solid promotional opportunity for those generous enough to offer items. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for details. The stunning piece featured here is an Art by Aldea Original: 'Mermaid hair', linocut art print, 15" x 22".
Auction link is mersociety.org/auction.
Details of the auction:
The Marine Education and Research Society is a registered Canadian charity working to reduce threats to marine mammals through research, education and response. Our efforts date back to 2004. We are based on NE Vancouver Island, British Columbia, CANADA.
This auction is directed at covering Marine Education & Research Society operating costs.
Below is a list of some of the work accomplished in 2017 with less than 2 full-time positions. We hope this reflects how efficient and productive an organization MERS strives to be. This is possible through the support of many and, while we have been successful in achieving funding for some of our work, it remains challenging to cover operating costs, estimated at $30,000 year.
Highlights of work achieved by MERS in 2017:
- 2,250+ data entries for sightings of Humpbacks;
- 170 hours spent monitoring whales during commercial fisheries, to respond in the case of entanglement and in order to better understand the scope of this threat;
- 80 additional “See a Blow? Go Slow!” signs for strategic positioning on British Columbia’s coast (70 of these were made possible through sponsorship);
- 24 presentations on our research and reducing risks to whales, reaching more than 1,530 people from coastal BC;
- In partnership with DFO, expanding our scar study into the rate of Humpback entanglement to a coast-wide effort;
- Production of the “How to Save a Whale” resource to help people understand what to do in case of finding an entangled whale which has reached over 35,000 viewers and is being shared internationally;
- Managing “Who You Gonna Call” – a series of 4 short videos to increase awareness about risks to marine mammals;
- Submitting our research on trap-feeding for publication;
- Engagement with media leading to over 35 articles and radio interviews aimed at reducing risks to whales; and
- Training more than 45 people at our Marine Naturalist Workshop to enhance the calibre of conservation information provided on our coast. #mersauction2018